BarCamp Django SF!
On October 4th and 5th BarCamp Django SF will be taking place in the Eventbrite office in San Francisco. BarCamp Django SF is a low-cost, community-focused event that's different than any previous multi-day Django conference.
How is BarCamp Django SF different than previous Django conferences and events?
Speakers are determined at the event
I know what you are thinking. It's something on the line of "What the heck?!?"
It means that if you want to give a talk, you don't need to be an expert. We don't have an formal, extensive review process. It's a chance to share ideas and learn something new. You can be just a Django hobbyist instead of a professional. All you have to be is passionate.
At the event, we'll put up a board with slots for talks. Attendees can put themselves into these slots for talks. This makes for a fun, fluid event where new speakers are as welcome as experienced speakers.
While this is meant to be an informal, beginner-friendly event, a professional level of conduct is still required:
- Speakers, like all attendees must agree to the code of conduct (also listed on the event page).
- No sales or recruiting pitches. Don't even try it!
Some attendees planning to be speakers:
- Simon Willison (co-founder of Django, co-founder of Lanyrd)
- Andrew Godwin (South, Migrations, etc)
- Natalie Downe (co-founder of Lanyrd)
- Audrey Roy Greenfeld (Cookiecutter, MessageBar, Two Scoops of Django)
- Michael Herman (Real Python)
- You! We especially welcome people from diverse backgrounds (race, gender, age, LGBT, disability, nationality, etc.)
note: Since enough people asked me about it, speaking is not mandatory for attendees of BarCamp Django SF.
BarCamp Django are just $15
Yes, you read that correctly, tickets for this event are just $15. All proceeds from ticket sales are going to the Django Software Foundation.
What that $15 gets you:
- Meals and snacks.
- A chance to share ideas, learn something new, and network with peers.
- A big speaking room and over 10 smaller rooms for breakout sessions.
- Security, including enforcement of the code of conduct.
- Camping! (see below)
On the night of October 4th, you can stay overnight at BarCamp Django SF!
BarCamp Django SF is 2 days, and will run from 10am Saturday morning until 4pm Sunday in the Eventbrite San Francisco office. Doors will be open throughout the duration of the event and all are welcome to camp out overnight. If you do plan on camping, you'll need to bring your own sleeping bag, blow up beds, pillows & blankets.
What's really awesome about camping at BarCamp Django SF is it allows out-of-town attendees to keep their costs low ($15 event cost vs $200+ hotel rooms).
note: Our definition of 'camping' is staying overnight inside the Eventbrite office in San Francisco. While you can't pitch a tent, you don't have to worry about mosquitoes. Some people will stay up all night, but we'll have quiet areas for those of us who need our 8 hours.